Start cycling with cake confidence in 2020!
Last Saturday of every month at Cycle Heaven.
We are delighted to offer a free, fun and tasty scheme to support people at all stages of life to start, or return to, cycling.
Cake confidence works! In a recent survey, 92% of ‘cake confidencers’ started cycling or cycled more often after our support. Have a read of some wonderful stories of journeys into cycling from former cake confidencers, Holly, Maureen, Rose and Brian, with more on our Stories pages.
Start Cycling Sessions
Our start cycling sessions over cake at Nought E cafe at Cycle Heaven (Hospital Fields Road, Fulford) include:
- free information, advice and route-planning with local maps from one of our friendly team
- free bike loans and ‘Travel with Tots’ child-carrying equipment loans (trailers and child seats) for up to 3 weeks (£20 returnable deposit required)
- free fitting to a suitable bike
- free 1:1, family or small group learn to ride or confidence training from a supportive and experienced cycle trainer
- free ongoing support through one of our bike buddies
- discounts – 10% off first bike purchases and 20% off accessories at Cycle Heaven if you choose to buy after borrowing a bike. This does not apply to bikes bought under the finance scheme.
You are welcome to come down with a friend, partner, family member or pet!
Each Saturday start cycling session takes 1.5/2 hours, with 30 minutes chat in the cafe, followed by up to an hour on the bike with a supportive and experienced cycle trainer, and then a chance to relax, over cake! There are two sessions in the afternoon:
Session 1: 1pm – 2.30pm
Session 2: 2.30pm – 4pm.
Places on the start cycling sessions are next available on Saturday 28 March. We currently book up at least 2 months in advance so please email email@example.com ASAP if you’d like to book a place.
Start Cycling bikes
You can borrow an easy to use bike for the session or for 3 weeks. Please note we only loan bikes out on the Cake Confidence Saturday (last Saturday of the month). Cycle Heaven at the station do ad-hoc bike loans at an hourly/daily rate.
We have a wide range of loan bikes and ‘Travel with Tots’ child-carrying equipment available for you to try and borrow for free – comfortable Ridgeback town and hybrid bikes, top of the range Gazelle Dutch bikes, and, excitingly, high quality electric bikes, top of the range Thule single and double child trailers and good quality front and rear child seats. All bikes come with locks and panniers.
#cakeconfidence #cyclingandcake #travelwithtots
Thanks to the generous donation of 10 bikes, child-carrying equipment and ongoing support from Cycle Heaven and one of their suppliers, Madison, City of York Council’s Road Safety Team for providing the cycle trainers and funding from i-Travel York.
Cake Confidence 2020 is an original York Bike Belles project, all rights reserved.