Enjoy better health through cycling in 2020!
In July 2020, we are launching a refreshed Cake Confidence scheme, with more frequent and flexible support. We can now offer friendly weekly activities including meet ups, buddying, rides, and lots of opportunities for chat and cake, whether face to face or screen to screen 🙂 This is on top of the usual last Saturday’s advice, bike loans and training. We look forward very much to working with you on your journey into cycling.
Thanks to funding from Sport England, more people in York can enjoy better health though cycling in 2020!
Last Saturdays at Cycle Heaven!
We are delighted to offer a free, fun and tasty scheme to support people at all stages of life to start, or return to, cycling.
Cake confidence works! In a recent survey, 92% of ‘cake confidencers’ started cycling or cycled more often after our support. Have a read of some wonderful stories of journeys into cycling from former cake confidencers, Holly, Maureen, Rose and Brian, with more on our Stories pages.
Start Cycling Sessions
Our start cycling sessions over cake at Nought E cafe at Cycle Heaven (Hospital Fields Road, Fulford) include:
- free information, advice and route-planning with local maps from one of our friendly team
- free bike loans and ‘Travel with Tots’ child-carrying equipment loans (trailers and child seats) for up to 3 weeks (£20 returnable deposit required)
- free fitting to a suitable bike
- free 1:1, family or small group learn to ride or confidence training from a supportive and experienced cycle trainer
- free ongoing support through one of our bike buddies
- discounts – 10% off first bike purchases and 20% off accessories at Cycle Heaven if you choose to buy after borrowing a bike. This does not apply to bikes bought under the finance scheme.
You are welcome to come down with a friend, partner, family member or pet!
Allow about 2 hours for each Saturday start cycling session, with 30 minutes chat in the cafe, followed by up to an hour on the bike with a supportive and experienced cycle trainer, and then a chance to relax afterwards, over cake! There are two sessions in the afternoon:
Session 1: Start at 12.00pm
Session 2: Start at 2.00pm
Places on the start cycling sessions are next available on Saturday 25 July. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to book a place.
Start Cycling bikes
You can borrow an easy to use bike for the session or for 3 weeks. Please note we only loan bikes out on the Cake Confidence Saturday (last Saturday of the month). Cycle Heaven at the station do ad-hoc bike loans at an hourly/daily rate.
We have a wide range of loan bikes and ‘Travel with Tots’ child-carrying equipment available for you to try and borrow for free – comfortable Ridgeback town and hybrid bikes, top of the range Gazelle Dutch bikes, and, excitingly, high quality electric bikes, top of the range Thule single and double child trailers and good quality front and rear child seats. All bikes come with locks and panniers.
#cakeconfidence #cyclingandcake #travelwithtots
Cake Confidence 2020 is an original York Bike Belles project, all rights reserved.