Walk and Ride Leaders Role description
Are you passionate about walking, cycling and connecting with nature? Are you confident and happy to take the lead on a walk or ride, good with people from all ages and backgrounds and an excellent communicator? If so, this role might be for you!
We would like you to co-lead our regular walks or rides as part of the YBB team, and be a positive advocate for YBB and our work.
We provide an induction, necessary training and ongoing support. We ask for a reference. Depending on the work agreed, we may need to carry out a DBS check.
We guarantee you will enjoy working with us to encourage more people to walk, cycle and enjoy nature around our beautiful city. As a group, we are friendly, flexible, dynamic and creative. We make a positive difference to people’s lives and to the York community. You will find being a volunteer with us a thoroughly rewarding experience!
Please apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance or just come along to one of our walks and rides and see if the role is for you.
To work within the YBB team to co-lead our regular walks and/ or rides.
- To co-lead at least one of our regular walks or rides every 2 months. This will include planning the walk or ride within the team, carrying out a reccy and risk assessment, co-leading the ride and social stop, providing photos and brief comments afterwards to our comms team and providing feedback to the project coordinator or Programme Manager.
- For monthly Walking Book Group only. To help source reading suggestions around a theme every month. To publish details of the Group’s walks and the reading suggestions on the YBB website and promote these via email to existing Group contacts every month.
- To attend ongoing training and development opportunities, and volunteer socials where possible.
- To help promote the YBB programme and the benefits of everyday walking, cycling and connecting with nature in your networks and to the York community in general.
- To follow YBB’s relevant policies, including health and safety, safeguarding, and privacy. You report regularly to the project coordinator or Programme Manager.
- (optional) To help deliver the rest of the YBB programme of walking and cycling activities, which may include bike maintenance workshops, bike buddying, bike try-outs, bike loan sessions, social events, community stalls and talks, nature workshops, Walk Cycle Festival events, social media and other creative walking and cycling activities.
- You are passionate about everyday walking, cycling and connecting with nature, and its benefits for health, community life and the environment.
- You are confident and happy to take the lead on a walk or a ride.
- You are supportive and good with people from all ages and backgrounds
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You are happy to work as part of a team.
- You are positive and self-motivated with energy and enthusiasm.
- You are able to motivate and enthuse others.
- You are IT literate.
- You are able to commit to regular activities in advance and keep to the commitment
- (Ride Leader) You are a competent cyclist
- You are willing to follow YBB procedures and reporting processes.
- You agree to keep YBB operational and participant details strictly confidential.
- You are a positive advocate for YBB and our work at all times
- You are willing to walk, cycle or use public transport to get around York for this role
Join us! “Be the change you want to see in the world”