Joanne takes Pat out for a Cycling Without Age Ride on Trixie
**Update March 2021 – our Pedaller volunteering opportunity is currently on hold.**
You can find out more about being a Cycling Without Age Ride Pedaller from a couple of our current pedalling team below:
Becoming a Pedaller is a great opportunity to help deliver York’s exciting Cycling Without Age Rides, where you will pedal folk from care communities around the city so that they can feel the wind in their hair!
The volunteer Pedaller roles are part-time and flexible, based in York. We ask that you commit to have a DBS check, reference, complete a Pedaller Training programme, including ‘buddy’ rides, be open to ongoing support and development and volunteer for at least half a day a month for a year. This includes pedalling, feedback, team support, exploring any new routes, and development time.
Purpose of role
We’d like you to deliver regular Cycling Without Age rides and take Elders from care communities on a three-seater electric-powered bike or ‘Trio Bike‘ on bike rides around York, called Trixie.
Deliver at least one ride a month for a year. This will involve:
- booking ride dates in advance as part of the seasonal YBB activity programme.
- ‘reccy’ or ride through of the proposed route, and carrying out a risk assessment of the route if necessary.
- collection of the Trio Bike from Cycle Heaven in Hospital Fields Road, Fulford
- pedalling of the bike (empty) to the care home, and meeting with the older person and carer or relative (if one). If no carer, there may be two older people on the ride.
- pedalling the older person and carer (if one) on an agreed, risk assessed route for up to an hour, with perhaps a stop at a cafe, park or other activity, and returning them to their residence.
- returning the bike to Cycle Heaven.
- emailing a brief ride report to the Cycling Without Age Coordinator.
- supporting other Pedallers.
- following York Bike Belles’ volunteer procedures, including safeguarding, health and safety and privacy.
- participating in ongoing training and development.
You are passionate about cycling and its benefits for health and community life
You are passionate about improving the quality of life and well being of older people
(Desirable) You have experience working with older people. If not, you are willing to attend age awareness training and develop skills in this area.
You are a competent cyclist with good bike handling skills and a good awareness of routes around York.
You have excellent communication skills.
You are positive and self-motivated with energy and enthusiasm.
You are able to motivate and enthuse others.
You are able to work independently and as part of a team.
You are a positive advocate for older people, cycling and YBB.
You are IT literate.
Join us! Be the change you want to see in the world.