Can you help us restart our Cycling Without Age Rides this year?
Are you passionate about cycling and improving the quality of life and wellbeing of York’s elder community? Do you have experience building relationships with a wide range of people? Are you self-motivated, with excellent communication, organisational and IT skills? If so, this new part-time role could be for you!
We are looking for a paid part-time Coordinator to help restart York Bike Belles’ Cycling Without Age Rides in York. The Rides are a simple but brilliant idea. With the help of a special electric-assist rickshaw called ‘Trixie’, volunteer Pedallers offer free, comfortable Rides to York’s elder community. Everyone rides together, chats and has fun on cycling trips out into parks, green spaces and around the best city sights!
You can find out more about our Cycling Without Age Rides so far here. We guarantee you will enjoy being part of this extraordinary initiative.
The role is based in York, for 8 hours a week, paid at £17 an hour on a self-employed basis. Home-based, usual days and times to be agreed. Contract is currently from May to December 2021, with up to 4 weeks agreed time off. We are exploring ways of generating income to extend this role.
Please apply in writing to email@example.com with a current CV and up to 500 words on “Why I am the right person for this role” by 31 March 2021. Interviews will take place w/c 12 April 2021.
- Liaising and agreeing safe processes with care community partners.
- Re-training and supporting York Bike Belles’ team of volunteer Pedallers, and possibly recruiting more volunteers. Training will be based on the existing York Bike Belles’ Cycling Without Age training model, with the addition of new Covid-secure training, and offered on a flexible basis, including online, small groups, buddying and 1:1.
- Updating our Ride routes.
- Putting together a new Ride Programme from Summer 2021.
- Supporting Pedallers to deliver the Ride Programme. This will include answering Pedaller queries, checking Ride Reports and organising regular socials (in person/ online).
- Arranging monthly maintenance of the rickshaw.
- Working with the York Bike Belles’ team to gather and publish regular positive stories about the Rides.
- Exploring setting up community-based Rides.
- Exploring ways to generate income and make the Rides sustainable into the future.
- Working to an agreed plan and York Bike Belles’ procedures (including Health and Safety, Safeguarding, Privacy, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and Environmental Sustainability).
- Reporting to York Bike Belles’ Programme Manager.
- Any other agreed tasks that become necessary, and are within your capacity, to enable and sustain the smooth running of the Rides.
- Experience building relationships with a wide range of people and organisations
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent, efficient organisational skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Passionate about improving the quality of life and wellbeing of the elder community
- Passionate about cycling
- Competent riding a bike
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexible and able to adapt to any changes in the external conditions that may affect your work
- Available to work during normal working hours, with flexibility as some evening and weekend working may be required
- Willing to walk, cycle or use public transport to get around York for this role
- Willing to be a positive advocate for cycling and for York Bike Belles CIC at all times
- (Desirable) Experience of working with volunteers
- (Desirable) Experience developing and delivering face to face and online training
- (Desirable) Experience of risk assessing routes and rides
- (Desirable) Experience of mapping and sharing routes online
- (Desirable) Experience of income generation and/or fundraising
Thank you most sincerely to local donors, The Feoffees Fund and Ruth Jennaway of York-based IT company Skiweb Limited, Ruth@skiweb.co.uk. Skiweb offers training and support to local businesses with their Microsoft Teams and Office 365 software.
And, of course, thank you to the team at Cycle Heaven for their continued support.
York Bike Belles is an award-winning charitable organisation, incorporated as a not for profit Community Interest Company, number 12470154. We rely on donations and grants to fund our activities. You can donate here.
Walk and cycle with us towards a healthy, green and kind York!