More Pedallers wanted for Cycling Without Age rides in York!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. Next training sessions will be in January/ February 2020.
Do check out what Amanda and Simon have to say about being a Pedaller:
Becoming a Pedaller is a great opportunity to join York’s exciting Cycling Without Age project , where you will pedal less able older people around the city so that they can feel the wind in their hair! Cycling Without Age is a fast-growing international movement that originated in Copenhagen – see http://cyclingwithoutage.org/. Full details about cycling without age rides in York is at www.yorkbikebelles.community/cyclingwithoutage.
These volunteer roles are part-time and flexible, based in York. We ask that you commit to have a DBS check, reference, attend a training session, be open to ongoing support and development and volunteer for at least 1 day a month for at least a year. This includes pedalling, any related social activity, feedback and development time.
Purpose of role
We’d like you to deliver regular Cycling Without Age rides and take less mobile older people on a 3 seater electric powered bike or ‘Trio Bike’ on bike rides around York. You can see ‘Trixie’ the Trio Bike at https://triobike.com/models/taxi/.
Deliver at least one ride a month for a year. This will involve:
- a reccy or ride through of the proposed route
- collection of the Trio Bike from Cycle Heaven in Hospital Fields Road, Fulford
- pedalling of the bike (empty) to the care home, and meeting with the older person and carer or relative (if one). If no carer, there may be two older people on the ride.
- pedalling the older person and carer (if one) on an agreed, risk assessed route for up to an hour with perhaps a stop at a cafe, park or other activity and returning them to their residence.
- returning the bike to Cycle Heaven
- emailing a brief ride report with at least 3 photos and comments about the ride to the YBB Coordinator
- supporting other Pedallers and attending YBB meetings every 2 months where possible
You are passionate about cycling and its benefits for health and community life
You are passionate about improving the quality of life and well being of older people
(Desirable) You have experience working with older people. If not, you are willing to attend age awareness training and develop skills in this area.
(Desirable) You are a competent cyclist with good bike handling skills and a good awareness of routes around York. Training can be provided.
You have excellent communication skills.
You are positive and self-motivated with energy and enthusiasm.
You are able to motivate and enthuse others.
You are able to work independently and as part of a team.
You are IT literate.
Join us! Be the change you want to see in the world.