We have been overwhelmed with expressions of interest in this opportunity – no fewer than 40 to date (as of end September 2018) so we need to put it on hold for the moment. Next recruitment opportunity is likely to be Spring 2019.
Please do email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be put on a waiting list.
Thanks so much for your interest.
Pedallers wanted for Cycling Without Age, launching in York in October 2018!
Join an exciting new project in York, where you will pedal less able older people around the city so that they can feel the wind in their hair 🙂
Cycling Without Age is a fast-growing international movement that originated in Copenhagen – see http://cyclingwithoutage.org/.
These volunteer roles are part-time and flexible, based in York. We ask that you commit to have a DBS check, attend a training session, be open to ongoing support and development and volunteer for at least 1 day a month for at least a year. This includes pedalling, any related social activity, feedback and development time. We will reimburse any drinks you buy for yourself at a cafe stop during a ride.
Please apply by emailing email@example.com for an application form.
Purpose of role
We’d like you to deliver regular Cycling Without Age rides and take less mobile older people on a 3 seater electric powered bike or ‘Trio Bike’ on bike rides around York. You can see ‘Trixie’ the Trio Bike at https://triobike.com/models/taxi/.
Deliver at least one ride a month. This will involve:
- a reccy of the proposed route
- collection of the Trio Bike from Cycle Heaven in Hospital Fields Road, Fulford
- pedalling of the bike (empty) to the care home, older person’s residence or other agreed community location and meeting with the older person and carer or relative (if one). If no carer, there may be two older people on the ride.
- pedalling the older person and carer (if one) on an agreed, risk assessed route for up to an hour with perhaps a stop at a cafe, park or other activity and returning them to their residence.
- returning the bike to Cycle Heaven
- emailing a brief feedback report with at least 3 photos and comments about the ride to the Cycling Without Age Team
- attending volunteer meet ups every month where possible
You are passionate about cycling and its benefits for health and community life
You are passionate about addressing the issue of loneliness and isolation in older people
You have experience working with older people. If not, you are willing to attend age awareness training and develop skills in this area.
You are a competent cyclist with good bike handling skills and a good awareness of routes around York.
You have excellent communication skills.
You are positive and self-motivated with energy and enthusiasm.
You are able to motivate and enthuse others.
You are able to work independently and as part of a team.
You are IT literate.
Join us! Be the change you want to see in the world.