6 month part-time contract
Are you passionate about improving the quality of life and well being of older folk? Do you love cycling? Do you have experience working with volunteers and building relationships with a wide range of people? Are you self-motivated, with excellent communication, organisation and IT skills? If so, this role could be for you!
We are looking for a new paid team member to develop our Cycling Without Age rides with at least 3 new ‘affordable’ sheltered housing schemes and/ or care homes in York. The rides take older folk out and about in Trixie, our electric rickshaw. We would like you to build relationships with staff at schemes and/ or homes and agree ways of working; to recruit, train and support at least 15 more volunteer “Pedallers” to deliver the rides; and to set up a new programme of Cycling Without Age rides for the new partners from March 2020.
All information about our current Cycling Without Age rides is at https://yorkbikebelles.community/events/cyclingwithoutage./ We guarantee you will enjoy being part of this wonderful initiative!
The role is for 10 hours a week, paid at £17 an hour on a self-employed basis. Contract is from Monday 4 November 2019 to Wednesday 8 May 2020, with a 2 week break over Christmas 2019.
If you would like an informal chat about the role, please email email@example.com with a contact number and we’ll get back to you. Our normal working days are Monday – Wednesday.
Please apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with a current CV and up to 500 words on “Why I am the right person for this role” by Tuesday 24 September. Interviews will take place on Tuesday 1 October in the centre of York.
- Liaising with and agreeing safe and effective ways of working with at least 3 ‘affordable’ sheltered housing schemes and/ or care homes in York, based on our current Cycling Without Age systems.
- Recruiting, training and supporting at least 15 more volunteer “Pedallers”, based on our current Cycling Without Age training model.
- Exploring, riding, risk assessing and mapping online at least 3 new ride routes for each new partner. Risk assessment templates and training are provided.
- Working with the YBB Coordinator, existing Pedallers, partners and the wider YBB team to put together and support a new programme of Cycling Without Age rides from March 2020, as part of the Spring YBB Activity Programme.
- Working with the YBB team as above to update and develop the Cycling Without Age rides paperwork, systems of work and databases.
- Working to an agreed plan, reporting to the YBB Coordinator with an weekly update, and attending YBB committee meetings every 2 months.
- Any other agreed tasks that are or become necessary, and are within your capacity, to enable the smooth running of our Cycling Without Age rides.
- Experience building relationships with a wide range of people and organisations
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent, efficient organisational skills
- Excellent IT skills
- (Desirable) Experience of risk assessing routes and rides
- (Desirable) Experience of mapping and sharing routes online
- Passionate about improving the quality of life and well being of older folk
- Passionate about cycling and competent riding a bike
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Available to work during normal working hours, with flexibility as some evening and weekend working will be required
- Willingness to walk, cycle or use public transport to get around York for this role
There is the prospect of longer term paid work with us , as we are currently applying for funding for the next few years…