Help more people enjoy better health through cycling!
Are you enthusiastic about supporting people into cycling and improving their health and wellbeing? Are you friendly, supportive and patient? Do you have experience building relationships with a wide range of people, and excellent communication and organisational skills? If so, this role could be for you!
We are looking for a new paid team member on a part-time contract for 7 hours a week for 8 months to expand our successful Cake Confidence scheme to Cycling for Health work. Within a framework of health referrals, you will provide a new programme of weekly cycling support to small groups and individuals from April to October 2020. This will include weekly, easy social rides, followed by a cafe visit and chat, over cake 🙂 Your work may also include one to one meet ups, bike loans and cycle training. All necessary training and support will be provided by the experienced YBB Programme Manager, volunteers and other cycle trainers. Funding for National Standard Cycle Instructor Training is also available.
Details of the current Cake Confidence scheme is at https://yorkbikebelles.community/cake-confidence/. We guarantee you will enjoy being part of this free, fun and tasty initiative!
The role is for 7 hours a week, paid at £17 an hour on a self-employed basis. Contract is from mid-March to October 2020. There may be potential to extend this role, dependant on funding.
Please apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with a current CV and up to 500 words on “Why I am the right person for this role” by noon on Monday 17 February. Interviews will take place on Thursday 20 February in the centre of York.
- Helping deliver the existing Cake Confidence advice, bike loans and training sessions on the last Saturday of the month at Cycle Heaven, Fulford.
- March 2020 – helping set up the new Cycling for Health project by attending training, developing paperwork, and risk assessing ride routes.
- April to October 2020 – meeting each month with a small group of new participants to agree personal cycling pathways, with regular reviews.
- April to October 2020 – weekly support of participants on their pathways, which will include weekly easy social rides followed by a café visit and chat, over cake 🙂 Work may also include one to one meet ups, bike loans and cycle training. You will have the assistance of cycle trainers and volunteers to help deliver activities if necessary.
- Weekly motivational contact with participants.
- Keeping up to date records of participants, bike loans and activities.
- Reporting to the YBB Programme Manager with a brief weekly update, and review meeting every month.
- Organising a celebratory event in October 2020.
- Any other agreed tasks that are or become necessary, and are within your capacity, to enable the smooth running of the Cake Confidence scheme.
- Enthusiastic about supporting people into cycling and improving their health and well being
- Experience building relationships with a wide range of people
- Friendly, supportive and patient
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- IT literate
- (Desirable) Experience working with volunteers
- (Desirable) Experience of risk assessing routes and rides
- (Desirable) Experience in Cycle Training and Ride Leading.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexible availability for working, both during weekends and during the week
- Good level of cycling ability
- Willingness to walk, cycle or use public transport to get around York for this role
- Positive advocate for cycling and YBB at all times
Cake Confidence is an original York Bike Belles initiative, all rights reserved. This role is currently funded by a Sport England Small Grants Award until October 2020.